Search This Blog

Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Blog-gining

I had always heard about blogging, but never really thought much about them until I read a few books recently on social media, which explained that blogs are simply web logs (right?), and social media platforms, like Facebook and Twitter, are kinda the same thing (the latter being a micro-blog).  I'm pretty good about taking notes when reading, but beyond reviewing those notes for my own edification, they pretty much remain un-read (which is basically always) and of no benefit to anyone else.  So this is where this blog will come into play.  As I read stuff, hear about stuff, think of and about stuff, I can post it here and hope that a few kind souls will read, ponder, and reply.

Here's the thing - I just turned 50 this year.  Not a big deal for me really.  I still think of myself as someone who's between 20 and 30 years younger.  I'm in pretty good shape, and while my hair turns grey and thins a bit, the thought of getting older doesn't really bother me.  I'm still doing pretty much all the physical activities I did when I was younger - more in fact.  Here's the thing that worries me - becoming obsolete, irrelevant, static, someone who wishes the world would slow down and stop changing . . . this is what scares me.  That and memory loss.

I was the first one in the family to have a Facebook and Twitter account.  I did so as a way to stay current.  I thought, "If I'm going to understand what the buzz is all about I'd better jump into it and start to understand it."  And really, that's the reason for starting this blog - to understand how blogging works, the benefits to me and others who interact, the challenges, the frustrations, and the fun (which is always a primary reason for me to do anything).

Now that I've explained why I'm blogging, I want to explain my rules for my soap box. 
  1. I reserve the right to change my opinion, mind, whatever.  Hey . . . it's my blog.
  2. I will talk and share info about things that are of interest to me. 
  3. I won't talk much about politics or religion.  Not really interested.  That said, rule #1 applies.
  4. I don't care much for abusive language, so profanity or any postings that I feel are inappropriate will probably get deleted.   Yeah, rule #1 applies again here, too.  I know, 'what the h***!'
Topics of interest to me are as follows:
  • Civil liberties and rights
  • Community
  • Corporate Culture
  • Customer Service
  • Education
  • Fun, Games and Play
  • Health and Wellness
  • Leadership and management
  • Marketing
  • Parenting
  • Parks and museums
  • Personal and professional growth
  • Recreation and leisure
  • Science and science fiction
  • Social media
  • Social trends
  • Space program
  • Sports - mainly basketball, baseball, and football
  • Technology
  • The Future!
  • Transportation
  • Travel
  • Waste and recycling
That's all I can think of for now.  The list may grow or shrink, depending on my level of interest.

Finally, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  I will make mistakes, I may say things based on inaccurate information, or I may say something I regret - right or wrong.  I'm calling the blog Talkin' 'bout My Evolution because I'm hoping to work through problems and ideas (with help from anyone else who may lead such a boring life that they decide to drop in now and then) in the hopes of becoming a more informed individual - one who thinks and grows and never stops learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment